Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Someplace To Go

There are a few weird things about my job.

1. Girls work there

I've been working in software for a long time, and there are really not that many chicks. Advertising, on the other hand, is like the George Clooney of career fields.

a. Girls wear weird shoes

I get that heels can (sometimes) make a girl look taller, thinner, and hotter. I have no problem with this. My problem is more with the nature of shoe culture and "cuteness" that goes along with it. Are you wearing the shoes for each other, or to look attractive to guys? I'm not sure I get it. I know this is a high-school level argument, and I'm not REALLY confused by it, but occasionally, in a vacuum, I just find the whole strapping yourself into uncomfortable pointy stilts to be a bit strange.

2. Men's Work Fashion

Work clothes for me are dress shirts and slacks. When I started this job, I got some really nice variants on each. It's still the J-Uniform, in that it's always combos of the same things, but they look nicer, they match, and according to M are at least somewhat current. I have stuff in both black and brown too. Apparently though, there are not very many people who actually wear this in the company. I've seen some of the very higher-ups in similar attire, but mostly it's that casual-dress that I've never been able to put my finger on. There's a lot of jeans, any variously formal combos involving jeans. One guy frequently does a sweater over a wrinkled dress shirt, jeans, and dress shoes. The girls fawn over him by the way, but it helps that he's generally a good-looking guy. I sometimes wish I could pull off a look like that but I feel weird anytime I see myself in something similar. Hell, I'm still getting used to sweaters. To be fair, if money weren't an issue, I'd probably have some "nicer" stuff, but as long as I look presentable and not geek-dressy, I'll be ok.

3. Women's Work Fashion

I'm not going to cover a lot here (neither do they sometimes...HEYO!) but I have similar thoughts as I do with the shoes. The range of clothing runs from frumpy conservative to practically clubby. Again, it's not that this is really all so shocking, but I do step back and find it pretty hilarious every now and then.

It has been a busy day, with a few projects getting ready for launch. I'm onsite for a meeting to scope out some new work, sipping on a splenda-sweetened lemon drink and taking pictures of my shoes with my phone.

No comments: