Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Small, Apocalyptic Fear

I was up on time, and left for my parents as S&B went to the airport. It's about a 1.5hr trip, which was more than enough for me to grab a nice subway nap.

I got to my parents by 6AM and promptly crashed until about noon. My brother headed over shortly afterwards and the family was together.

I noticed this sticker on their TV, the one that explains that analog tuners will be out in Feb '09. I've got a slightly irrational fear about switching completly over to digital, and I realize that we're practically there already. Everything important is stored digitally already, but there's something about analog broadcast capability that is comforting. In the event of large-scale catastrope, analog signal is relatively easy to send and receive. I am completly aware that I am no more capable of building a radio or television receiver than I am of fixing a car, but I *feel* like I might be able to.

When our technology is destroyed and we need to come up with a quick way to communicate, digital just won't be practical. Analog is the post-apocalytic thing to have, and if we get rid of the analog equipment, I feel like we're really screwed.

That's screwed above and beyond the apocalypse, btw.



No comments: