Thursday, April 17, 2008

Secretmeyer

The top picture here is inside the storage bin above my brother's desk. Everyone needs a flask of whisky now and then.

This reminded me of the last band I played in, which is much longer ago than I wish it were. We kept trying to come up with a name, and I wanted it to be The Erlenmeyer Flasks. I had trouble getting buy-in from the rest of the group, so I mocked up our first CD to show them how awesome it would be.

It did not meet with success.

I've since carted the band equipment across the country, in hopes that I will find some more people to play with and a place to play as well. I'm very rusty, but somewhere inside me there's an aging rocker who really wants to play loud covers of chick-rock songs.

In a good/sad moment of "remember when" - I really enjoyed that work band, with our instruments stashed under our desks. We'd pull them out at night, turn out the lights, hook a visualizer up to a microphone and projector, and rock out for a while as the dancing lights projected on us with the Statue of Liberty watching. One day, rocking out especially hard to Somebody Told Me the building management came up and told us we were bothering the other tenants and could we turn it down. Since we were in a building full of lawyers, and not a frat house, we pretty much stopped after that. Yeah, it was pretty awesome.

Somewhere, an empty bottle of Vat 69 sits, the only thing that knows how it got there.





No comments: