Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wake and Bake

Today my friend Chris flies in for an interview with a company out here and we're going to meet up with him for some lunch and a tour of the Mac and Jack brewery. But before that...

It's time for baking.

Today's experiment is pound cake, made via the "Creaming Method", whereby sugar crystals whip air into fat (butter), leading to a light an fluffy cake. My loaf pan was too small, so I made cupcakes instead. This left many dirty dishes.

Also, since I forgot to grease the tin, the cakes didn't really want to come out. In the end though, they were good, but waaaaaay too light and fluffy. I want a pound cake to be dense and rich. If I'm going to go light and fluffy, I'll just go angel food and spare myself the inordinate amount of fat in this cake. It was "successful" in that I did it correctly, but I would not make this recipe again. Next time, I'll go with M's mom's recipe, which is the best pound cake (lemon) I've had.

In the last shot, you can see my starter sitting in the sink. In an attempt to keep it warm and bubbly, I've been putting hot water in that dish every so often. I'm nervous.






No comments: