Monday, August 27, 2007

Starchy Distraction

I found this guy's recipe for baguettes online, and I've been meaning to give it a try.

With a project deadline looming this morning, I figured I could use something to focus any nervous energy, and decided to try the 2nd of the 3 recipes on the page. The third one looked a bit too complex for someone in their first week of baking.

Many things went wrong in the recipe. There was too much dough for my poor little kitchenaid to handle. The dough didn't really come together, and thus, the bread didn't rise properly. Baguettes are typically long, and I didn't have a big enough sheet to cook it on, nor a big enough oven. Also, Since I didn't think it had browned enough, I overcooked it such that rather than having a nice crust, it had an exeoskeleton.

All told, it was indeed a bread-product, and edible, and I'm sure it'll make for some lovely toast, but it's nothing close to a baguette.

I saved half the dough for another run through the knead, and we'll see if that can get it any better. I'm going to try a different dough-stretching technique as well, so let's hope that's successful.

Oh, right, I got my document finished. That's part one of like, 12 - done.





1 comment:

Brian said...

Dude, Dana's making bagels that ROCK. Apparently they take a long time to make, so I only get them when she has a day off. I'll try to get her to make some for when we drive to the camp thingy.