Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sleepbaking

Another early morning, this one a bit frantic with work, but also soothed by the promise of fresh bread.

Today's recipe is Alton's "Morning After" bread, made with wheat flour, bread flour, beer, and coffee. The recipe (ingredients, technique) is in "I'm Just Here for More Food", which is his baking book. I've posted the recipe so that you can try it, and I'll hope Alton's lawyers don't get upset with me. Seriously, buy Alton stuff.

I got prepped while the coffee brewed and then got everything in motion. I like that once the initial 15 minutes are spent mixing and kneading (dough hook, I love you), you can really just pop in for a few minutes over the next hour or two to occasionally fold and prod the dough as needed. I was able to work and then just take quick breaks to check on the dough and move through the process.

To "fold down" dough, Alton recommends flattening it and folding it up like a tri-fold wallet three times. Although this has distributed the yeast quite nicely, I'm concerned that it has compromised dough elasticity, and given it that kind of lumpy appearance on the skin. It was also a bit difficult to seal up along the bottom, so it didn't form a smooth, oblong shape. Next time, I'll try just doing one fold and see if that produces better results.




No comments: