Monday, August 20, 2007

Less Bad Idiot

After about 35 minutes the crust seemed very crisp and brown so I took it out of the oven. I had neglected to grease or otherwise take stick-preventative measures, so the loaves were welded to the pan. After about 5 minutes of scraping, they detached from the welded parts, which is not going to make for very long-lasting bread.

I cut and tasted. It actually was pretty decent. I would have preferred a coarser crumb, but I think maybe my over-kneading or choice of flour prevented that. You can also see that there is no bottom crust. That component is currently soaking on the pan in my sink. Flavor-wise, it had some depth, thanks to the different kinds of flour (AP, Bread, Whole Wheat) and the use of the starter, AND the overnight rise. It's a little tart, hearty and spicy. M likes it too. She commented last night that the dough made the apartment smell like a brewery, which isn't great, but maybe the results are worth it.

I'll do my best to eat a bunch of it (it made 2 big loaves) and I'll think about the next one. I think I'll just go with AP flour next time and try for a lighter bread. I've got a lot of starter left over, so I'd better use it for something.

Dude, my first bread. Awesome.



No comments: