Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Splendid Idea

M and I walked to the store to get some more bread flour. The weather is getting very crisp, and with people more affluent than us lighting up fires in fireplaces, the air smelled a lot like camping. It was very pleasant.

I mentioned a few days ago that I received my next whisky from my brother, an Islay malt - Laphroaig 15. It had been years since I tried the 10 (and remember preferring the Ardbeg), but was really looking forward to trying this.

We hopped on a Skype video call, and spent a half hour or so, just chilling and having a nicely sized dram together. Not only was the whisky delicious (really, with no burn on the tongue, nice smoke and peat flavors, and a rich fullness). I'm going to get a Lagavulin next time I go out and compare, but this was definitely up there with the greats.

It was great to just hang out with my brother. The video Skype thing is great, and we need to do it more. There's nothing like being able to toast each other face-to-face from 3000 miles away.

I will be sending his flask back with some Cask Strength Macallan (delicious), and we will do this again shortly.


No comments: