Saturday, May 10, 2008

Read For Emphasis

The shoot went really well and I had more fun than I thought I would. Our photographer was very nice and seemed to have everything nicely sorted.

We did do one setting where we were on some grass that turned out to have recently been fertilized. Ah, well. Sometimes you suffer for art.

We did part of the shoot at our favorite coffee shop a ways down the neighborhood, and M got a latte. The place's logo is a leaf, and every drink has a "latte art" leaf poured with the milk. I asked the barista how long it took her to learn to do it and she said it was literally thousands of lattes.

We spent the rest of the night relaxing at home. I flipped past "Man on Fire", that sorta recent Denzel movie about a bodyguard in Mexico City protecting Dakota Fanning.

It's not a good movie but it has one thing that I think is really great, and I recommend you catch this when it's on FX again, which is probably every other day.

The movie uses subtitles as part of the visuals, not just showing you what's being said, but changing size, font, placement, duration, and case depending on *how* it's being said. Certain English lines are also subtitled, just for emphasis. The impact of that technique is noticable, and it works really well.

You can see a small example in this terrible picture, where the line is in the middle of the screen, all caps.

I just wish the movie had been better, but really nice job on that part of it.


No comments: