Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pho

Banh Mi sandwiches are one of my favorite things ever, and four of us head to a Vietnamese place for lunch. I really don't "go out" for lunch all that much, although I've been buying sandwiches and such more than I should recently. I need to get back in the grocery habit and bring stuff in the morning.

On our way, we decide to get Pho (soup) instead and grab a table at the place. I haven't had this since I lived in Boston, and I wasn't crazy about it. It's been a long time so I figure I'll give it a shot again.

The place (Pho Cyclo) has a signature Pho, with rare beef, fatty beef, tendon, and tripe. I've never had tendon or tripe (the nubbly stuff), so this seems as good a time as any.

While I'm glad I tried it, I probably won't be ordering it with that again. The soup is delicious, but the tripe is kind of flavorless and chewy (and nubbly, did I mention this), while the tendon is very gelatinous.

Still, I'm a pho fan now, even with all that cilantro. I'm really getting into a love-hate relationship with it, we'll have to see how that goes.








No comments: