Sunday, November 11, 2007

More Chew

The baking continues. I've made a lot of breads, some have been tasty, some definitely not.

M and I tried making bagels, but we did not have high-gluten flour, which apparently makes the best bagels. Runor is that you can't get it in stores, but in Whole Foods you can get "Gluten Flour" which I assumed was the same thing.

It was not. HG Flour is about 14% protein, nice and chewy. Gluten flour is about 70% protein, which seized up into a mass that nearly choked my Kitchen-Aid. Sigh.

So we made the bagels with bread flour. They were fine, but not quite chewy or bageley enough. I miss my bacon and egg bagel sandwich from Bagel Hole in Brooklyn and I will have it again. I swear it! I'll just have suck it up and order some HG flour online.

Also, we found a place that makes decent Chinese so I made my leftovers into a calzone. MMMmmm.

Also...




No comments: